Saturday 16 November 2013

Way down deep for day five.

So, with this blog post. I'm going to admit to something that will probably get me kicked out of Doctor Who fandom. My favourite fifth doctor story is.....

Warriors of the Deep*

I was eight or nine when I first heard this story on tape. Narrated by Peter Davidson. I feel in love with this story, set on a deep sea base. Even better it featured both the Silurians and Sea Devils, two of my favourite monsters.

I can remember saving up to buy the VHS when it came out in late 1995 and loving it. It was the first who story that I owned for myself. Could the actual episodes hold up to what I had imagined whilst listening to it. It did and I loved it. I've watched the story countless time and I still enjoy it.

Yes the sets are overly bright, and the Myrka doesn't work. However, this is a story of the time. In it's broadcast, the world was in the midst of the Cold War and this story truly embraces it. The writer, Johnny Bryne, should be proud of this.

Though the productions values hamper this story, thanks to the Margaret Thatcher's sudden announcement of an election, cut this story short, I still enjoy watching this story. This also frustrates me as this story could have been so much better with those extra weeks.

People often talk about the negatives of this story, but I think they should sit back and just enjoy the story and they may find a hidden gem, that is once classified as a waste of time.

Also the cliff hanger to episode 1, with the Doctor falling to his death was great.

Despite this. I still enjoy this story, and it is my favourite Peter Davidson story. I also quite enjoy Earthshock, Resurrection of the Daleks, and The Five Doctors.

Baggers.

*I'm also quite a fan of Adric. I'll get my coat now shall I?

No comments:

Post a Comment