Friday 15 November 2013

Four Days in, and on time :)


After the ease of the Third Doctor, the forth Doctor is another problematic Doctor for me. Two stories stand out for me. The Talons of Weng Chiang and the City of Death.

Why do I love Talons. I have an unhealthy love of dark Victorian streets, shrouded in mist and this story panders to this love. It has great characters. Who can forget Mr Henry Gordon Jago and his esteemed friend Professor Litefoot. These two make the story alone.

The whole production is done superbly and is a great swansong to the Philip Hinchcliffe years. With a few niggles aside, yes I’m looking at you Mr Giant Rat, this story is a timeless classic.

But what about the City of Death. One of the Doctor’s first foreign adventures, with location shooting in Paris. Again, it’s a cracking story, with superb characters. Duggan and the Count Scarlioni. Who can forget the classic image of seven Mona Lisa's.

The location is stunning and the music from this story is very memorable. Upon my recent trip to Paris, I wander around humming the music to myself. I’m even humming it as I type this. I even sent my colleague a photo of the Eifel Tower,  with a message of  the final story.

‘Bye Bye Duggan’

So which story am I to choose. As much as I like City of Death, it’s not Talons of Weng Chiang.
Perhaps it was an easier choice to make.

Baggers.   

No comments:

Post a Comment