Tuesday 13 April 2010

The Eleventh Hour

I liked the Eleventh Hour, a lot. Perhaps, a little too much. As I sat down to watch it for the first time, I was nervous. Not because I thought Steven Moffat was going to ruin Doctor Who. I was wondering if I was going to like it. Since Russell T Davis brought back Doctor Who in 2005 there have been four season openers. Two of them have been good (Smith and Jones and Rose) and two of them, which I thought, had been a little average and could, have been just another story and not a season opener (New Earth and Partners in Crime). However, my fears were soon put to one side.

Doctor Who came back with a bang and almost destroyed Big Ben, again. Steven Moffat gave us a superb season opener. We met the new Doctor, a little unhinged by his recent regeneration. In Matt Smith portrayal of the Doctor we got flashes of the kindness of the fifth Doctor, the action hero that was the third doctor and of course the bizarreness of Tom Baker’s forth Doctor. Matt Smith is definitely the Doctor.

Moffat’s plot was simple and this is what I like about it. A monster has escaped to Earth (through a crack in a wall) and the Doctor has to stop it. We have our running down corridors. We have a beautiful alien creature and even the CGI space ships were nice. Something, which I felt, that Doctor Who in recent years has not been very good at.

I won’t mention Karen Gillan as the wonderful Amy Pond as, having seen The Beast Beneath; I’ll discuss her more there. However she gives a strong performance and I am happy with her as the new companion

To sum up my opening review; I enjoyed this episode. It had a great plot that rattled along, not once did it feel as if it was dragging. It was silly when it needed to be, but that was put to one side when it was time to get to business.
8/10

Oh and unlike my esteemed colleague I loved the new title sequence and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment