Saturday 17 September 2011

I'm still waiting.

Its a week later and I am still waiting to calm down after the emotional train ride of the Girl Who Waited. Tom MacRae has crafted an episode who made me laugh, smile and cry. Well almost cry. The basic plot is very simple. What happens when the companions get separated from the Doctor. However, here is when it gets complicated. Instead of being chased around a base by the monster of the week. They are separated by time lines.

At the heart of this story is dealing with what happens if the Doctor abandoned you, by accident. Amy gets older and bitter. Karen Gillan has a hard job of playing her older self and she plays it fantastically. The bitterness to the Doctor and the intense love she has to Rory come out fantastically. I often say how good the acting is, but this week I think we have seen the best yet.

I will say here that the design of the episode is simple, but effective. The Handbots are off putting but not scary, which is what they were designed to be. The gardens look generally fantastic and the back rooms of the hospital dark and gritty.

However the key point to this story is the acting. If the acting were not at the very best this story would horribly flat on his face. I have already mentioned how good Karen Gillan was. But Arthur Darvill and Matt Smith were also fantastic. Arthur had to face a difficult dilemma about his wife. Whilst the Doctor had to deal with the consequences of his mistakes.

Though I am starting to long for a base under siege story, and I am hoping that tonight’s The God Complex has high hopes for this. I am happy to say that this was another good story. Please keep bringing these great stories Mr Moffatt.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment