Thursday 19 May 2011

So very much in love.

It is hard to start this review, as I have no clue on where to begin. The Doctor’s wife is a big episode, bigger than the 45 minute slot given to it, in fact. There was so much hype about this episode. Firstly the fact the Neil Gaiman was writing the story. Secondly, when it was accidentally announced it was entitled, The Doctor’s Wife. One can be led into wondering if this episode would fail to deliver. The preview, in DWM, even alluded to this fact.

So did this story deliver, yes and no. It delivered so much. The writing was great. The acting, fantastic. The sets, CGI, direction and everything else that went into this episode were perfect. This story has added and enhanced the Doctor Who Mythology. Not in a great sweeping change (such as the Time War) but in little subtle ways. But, after watching it a second time, the wonder of the episode has worn off a little.

I’ll start of with the story. Neil Gaiman has written a terrific story. If any aspiring writer wants to know how to write a stand alone, monster of the week story, look no further. He took a simple story idea, what if the Tardis became human, and took it from there. It wasn’t to convoluted or fancy but hit the right emotional note.

I would like to add the interplay between the Doctor and Idris was perfect. It was written, in my opinion, as an old married couple. Very much in love, but argue their course. The line where Idris says. “I’ll always take you where you needed to be” (or there about) changes all we know about the Tardis and makes her a better machine.

He wrote the characters of the Doctor, Amy, and Rory well. Making sure that thought this was an episode that centered on the Doctor. Amy and Rory were still an integral part. No longer just consigned to the Tardis (Nyssa in The Visitation) but on the run for their lives. Idris, or should that be Tardis, was again well written. However, I think this is down to the performance of Surranne Jones. The early scenes reminded me of Andy Serkis Gollum from the Lord of the Rings.

I have yet to mention Richard Clark. As Director of this show he has responsibility for the look and the feel of the story. It is here where it could have gone so horribly wrong, but yet he got it right. The Tardis junkyard was a sad and lonely place. The mismatch characters of the Auntie and Uncle were brilliant.

There are a few down sides to this story. The resolution, being the first one. After a brilliant 38 minutes or so, I was slightly disappointed about how quickly the monster, called house, was killed and removed from the Tardis. It was just to easy or the Doctor to trick him, her, it. However, this is a slight quibble and doesn’t detract to much from my enjoyment of the story.

I was also disappointed with the interior of the Tardis. We have scene inside the rest of the Tardis, whether it be Romana’s room, the swimming pool, or the eye of harmony, on several occasions. The corridors Amy and Rory ran down were bland and, in my opinion, not in keeping with the Tardis Console room. Which, if we discount Invasion of Time, the Tardis interior has done in previous stories.

I must also say it was nice to see the Eccleston/Tennant console room make a reappearance. As a fan, I was disappointed it was not one of the classic console rooms, but it was nice to see it for one final time.

I enjoyed this epsidoe. However, less so on my second viewing, ( I watch each episode at least twice to give the best review) and I am slightly worried that this episode will lose it’s charm if I watch it repeatedly. This is a dissapointment. I do not know how many times I have seen some of my favourite stories (Warriors of the Deep, Invasion, Girl in the Fireplace, and Eleventh Hour to name a few) I want to watch and enjoy this story, countless times. However I am worried that it won't be as good the third or the fourth.

Despite this, it was a great episode. I have shot myself in the foot with my 10 out of 10 for the The Impossible Astronaught and Day of the Moon. What rating do I give. Easy.

11/10

No comments:

Post a Comment