Thursday 10 June 2010

Art for Art's sake

We are now approaching the end of Matt Smith’s first season with episode number ten, Vincent and the Doctor. At the start of this review I have to applaud the use of Croatia to represent Southern France. It didn’t feel at all like they were pretending to be somewhere else. This really helped the episode.

I must also say I enjoyed the little nods to Vincent van Gogh’s painting. His bedroom, the church, the café, and sunflowers all made appearances in one way and another. It was a little self indulgent but also quite nice and I feel a little more cultured because of it.

Also casting Tony Curran as Vincent van Gogh was an inspired piece of casting. Not only did he portrayed the artist superbly, his moment of depression being a fine example of his portrayal, it was his uncanny resemblance to the real life artist that made him the perfect piece of casting.

The storey was simple. Their is an invisible alien, who is lost and alone, on the loose in southern France. The Doctor and Amy teams up with the only man who can see it, Vincent van Gogh. I must admit though the story flowed naturally and Richard Curtis’s dialogue was, at times, fantastic. It was the fact that it was so simple that had a negative effect on the episode. Sometime’s a simple story works well but here it felt it lacked the meat of the episode.

In summing up; I enjoyed this episode, however I won’t be racing back to view it again. It’s the only episode so far this season that I’ve been left feeling like this.

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment